Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Three Doves



Three Doves

The past winter and now this spring we have had an abundance of Mourning Doves at our feeders. It has given me an opportunity for lots of observation and photography. I have consequently decided to do a painting using some of those materials. Once I have decided on a basic idea I go from sketchbook to computer to work on the design. I scan in sketches and download photos. The computer then gives me incredible flexibility in designing the painting. I can change sizes, colors and compositions much more quickly than if I had to sketch each new thought. Shown above is the computer sketch that I decided upon to use.



The next step is to do a drawing of the composition, transfer that to the board, (I use gessoed hardboard to paint on), do a tight rendering and seal that with fixative. The next step is to put a thin wash of color over the drawing. I will be doing that in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment