Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Woody Woodpecker


























Woody Woodpecker

This morning I was working at my board when I heard that unmistakenable sound of a Pileated Woodpecker. I looked out the window and there he was on the suet feeder. We rarely have the Pileateds come to the feeder so this was a great treat. I was able to get some photos which should make it into a future painting. Last spring we had a pair in the yard for a few weeks. I thought they might be nesting in the area but never found any evidence.

Something interesting I learned last week was that the cartoon character Woody Woodpecker was not based on a Pileated as I and many others had thought. Walter Lantz, the animator who created Woody, based his character on an Acorn woodpecker which he and his wife saw while honeymooning in California. It made such a racket and was so amusing that his wife suggested someday he should turn it into a cartoon character.

My next oil painting offering on ebay will be this Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment